Lost your Master Password
Table of Contents
Password Boss does not store a copy of your Master Password, nor do we have the ability to reset it. If you have forgotten your Master Password typically it means that your account has to be reset and you need to start over.
If you have an Android device on your account you may be able to change your Master Password without any data loss. See the section on Android below for the steps.
In all other cases if you cannot remember your master password and you reset your account your data will be permanently deleted and cannot be recovered.
Tips to remember your Master Password
Password was at least 8 characters
Master Passwords must contain letters, numbers,, upper case and symbols
Was the password a phrase?
Did you use family member names or important dates?
Did you write down the password and store it somewhere?
Did you use the sharing feature of Password Boss to share the master password with a trusted family member or contact?
Recently changed your Master Password?
If you changed your Master Password within the last 14 days, we may be able to restore your account to the previous Master Password. This feature is only available if you have backups enabled for your account.
Any changes made since your Master Password was changed will be lost.
Steps to restore your account
- Go to the Password Boss Portal
- Click on the Forgot your password? link
- Click Restore my account.
- Enter your email address and click Continue
- A verification code will be sent to your email addressto confirm your identity.
Enter the verification codein the portal and click Restore Account.
- Your account will now be restored to your previous Master Password.
- You can now login to your Password Boss account using your previous Master Password.
- You will be prompted to enter a verification code to confirm your device on your account. The verification code will be sent to your email address.
Enter the verification code and you will be in your account.
- Your previous Master Password is now your current Master Password.
Note: Any changes made in your Password Boss account since your password was changed will be lost when your account is restored.
Changing your lost Master Password from your Android device
Warning: This feature requires version 5.5.9569 or later of the Password Boss app. If you have an earlier version of the Password Boss app, you should upgrade to 5.5.9569 or later before following these instructions.
If you have an Android device connected to your Password Boss account AND you have enabled either fingerprint or face authentication on your Android device, you can change your Master Password from your Android device without losing any of your account data. Note: if you have not previously accessed your Password Boss account from your Android device, this process will not work for you.
- Open the Password Boss app on your Android device.
- If you are logged in to the app, you will need to log out by tapping the menu and choosing Lock and then Cancel on the face
or fingerprint screen, and then tap Unlock with Master Password.
- From the login screen, click Forgot your password.
- Click Recover with Fingerprint / Face.
- Authenticate using your fingerprint or face
- Enter a new Master Password.
- Click Next.
Confirm your new Master Password.
Your Master Password is now changed, and you can log in to your other device using your new Master Password.
Deleting your account and starting over
If you have tried all the suggestions above and still cannot remember your Master Password, the only option left is to delete your account and start over.