Managing your Master Password
Learn how manage your master password for your account
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Table of Contents
Changing your Master Password
Your Master Password is the key to all the information in your Password Boss account. It is important that you never forget your Master Password and that you never share it with anyone.
Before changing your Master Password
Before you change your Master Password, we recommend that you ensure each device is up to date with your recent changes. When changing your Master Password, if you have any changes that are not synchronized across all of your devices, those changes may be lost after you change your Master Password.
Using the Backup Now function on each device will synchronize each device. Backup one device at a time using the Backup Now option in the app's Settings section. This will help ensure that all your devices have the latest changes to your master password.
How to change your Master Password
- From the Password Boss app go to Settings -> Security -> Change Master Password.
- Enter your existing Master Password.
Enter a new Master Password and confirm it.
Your Master Password has now been changed. Use the new Master Password when you log in to the Password Boss app.
Forgot your Master Password?
Password Boss uses the concept of zero-knowledge in our architecture, so we do not store your password; since we do not store it, we cannot reset it if you forget it.
If you do forget your Master Password, there are two options
- You can reset your account and start over. This will delete all of the data you saved in the Password Boss app and let you start again. Once your account is reset there is no way to recover any data - it is gone forever.
- If you have changed your Master Password within the last 14 days, we may restore your account to your previous Master Password. Any changes since you changed your Master Password will be lost. This is also a permanent change - if you restore your account and cannot remember the previous Master Password, you cannot change back to the current version of your account.
How to reset your account and start over.
Delete your account and start over
Password Boss does not save your Master Password. If you forget your Master Password there is no way to reset it.
If you cannot remember your, Master Password, you can Reset your account. Resetting your account allows you to start over and create a new empty Password Boss account.
Note: Resetting your account with these steps will not change your subscription or remove any purchases or license keys from your account.
Warning: If you no longer have access to the email address associated with your account, you will need to contact customer service to change your email address before you attempt to reset the Master Password. Without the verification emails, you will be unable to complete the process of deleting your account and starting over.
Resetting your account and starting over
- Go to the Password Boss Portal
- Click on the Forgot your password? link
- Click Reset my password - Start over.
- Enter your email address and click Continue.
- A verification code will be sent to your email to confirm your identity.
Enter the verification code in the portal and click Next.
- Enter a new Master Password and then confirm the new Master Password.
- From your computer or phone, open the Password Boss app and log in with your new Master Password.
- You will be prompted to enter a verification code to register your device on your account. The verification code will be sent to your email address.
- That's it - your account has been reset, and you can start using Password Boss again.
How to restore your account to your previous Master Password.
Forgot your new Master Password?
Tip: This feature is only available to users with a paid subscription and when online backups are enabled.
Warning: Any changes you made in your Password Boss account after your Master Password was changed will be lost if you reset the Master Password, so you should reset it with caution.
If you changed your Master Password within the last 14 days, we may be able to restore your account so that you can use your previous Master Password.
How to restore your account
- Go to the Password Boss portal - https://portal.passwordboss.com.
- Click Forgot your password.
- Click Restore your account.
Enter your email address to your account. A verification code will be sent to your email address to confirm your identity.
Enter the verification code on the portal and click Restore Account.
Your account has now been restored to your previous Master Password. You can now log in to the Password Boss application using your previous Master Password.
- Your previous Master Password is now your current Master Password.